[fpc-devel] Fppkg questions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun May 22 22:11:41 CEST 2011

On Sun, 22 May 2011, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

> On May 22, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 22 May 2011, Darius Blaszyk wrote:
>>
>>> While working on the lazarus GUI I could not find evidence that fppkg is capable of supporting multiple repositories. As far as I can tell the mirrors.xml is always downloaded from the freepascal server and only holds some alternatives to get the packages from.
>>> I think it would be a nice feature if users could setup their own repositories and only have to distribute a repository manifest file (or URL) that will be merged with the local mirrors.xml, subsequently the packages are automatically updated into packages.xml.
>>> Is this idea eligible for support before I start working on this?
>>
>> Having this was the idea from day one. Strange that you could not find this ?
> Can you point out to me how this is supposed to work then? I modified the
> mirrors.xml file manually but it got overwritten by the version from the
> freepascal repository.  How are you supposed to add additional mirrors?
> Also the packages, how do you distinguish which package comes from which
> mirror?  I believe you when you say this was planned, but was it
> implemented?

The idea at the time was to have a different fppkg configuration for each repository,
not to have everything in 1 configuration.

I assume that you want something like apt-get, where there is a file with
known repositories, and that fppkg scans all repositories.
I suppose that may be easier. If you have ideas how this can be done, I'm open for suggestions.

Michael.