[fpc-devel] Macro Processing

Martin fpc at mfriebe.de
Mon May 16 15:15:22 CEST 2011

On 16/05/2011 11:37, Joerg Schuelke wrote:

> Yes. If it is used. But most true-pascalian say, it would never be used,
> because it is useless ;-)
> I think it is not that tragic, the real use cases you will find in
> bigger projects are rare.

If use case are so rare, then it raises the bigger question:

Based on the knowledge, that any code can contain bugs.
And that any code, (even small and simple code) added to a bigger
project has a risk (whatever slight) to add bug (either within the code
itself, or to modify data-structures relied on, and trigger bugs in
existing code....
The point is adding macros to the compiler, has a risk of bugs. If not
now then in future.

A point valid for any feature added to any program.

The question is as always: Is the gain, worth the risk.

If the feature was really important, and would be used by many, and make
everyones live so much easier, then yes it is worth it

But if let me quote "the real use cases ... are rare", then is it still
worth the risk (Even if the risk is small.

Should all suffer, for the very few, or should the very few have to
yield for the good of many?