[fpc-devel] Macro Processing

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat May 14 14:36:33 CEST 2011

Am 14.05.2011 14:43, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Florian Klämpfl schrieb:
>
>> It simply shows that in a modern programming language macros has few
>> real use cases because there are a lot of other constructs which serve a
>> similiar purpose.
>
> ACK
>
> Nonetheless I wonder which efforts had to be made, to mimic only some of
> the many macro usages.

It's only a side effect that it reduces macro use cases.

> Now give me any
> reasonable argument, why it should not be *allowed* to extend the
> compiler accordingly.

Look at the bug count graph (important part attached, one gray line is
100 open bugs) and you will see that we're currently even not able due
to lacking resources to maintain the current features so any new feature
makes this worse without more people doing the dirty work of bug fixing.

That's why I'am currently very carefull with new featuers.