[fpc-devel] Declare variables inside the code

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed May 11 14:52:13 CEST 2011

On 11 May 2011, at 14:35, Joerg Schuelke wrote:

> Hmmm, I think about macros for pascal with parameters for some time,
> and
> ask you now: where is the debugging macro used inside the whole
> compiler sources? Nowhere, because it is nearly impossible to write
> some really useful.

I think the answer is rather "nowhere, because the developers don't
have a need for them". I can't remember ever thinking "I wish I could
do this with macro support, but unfortunately that's not possible so I
have to do it in another and less convenient way" while working on the
compiler. This obviously doesn't mean that there are no cases where
other people may consider macro support to be quite handy, but I'm
personally not missing anything as far as compiler development is
concerned.

Jonas