[fpc-devel] The future of fpmake

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Mar 30 21:29:56 CEST 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:08 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>>> I was thinking to be able to do something like :

>>> This will add some debug options to the build process. Also it should be possible to create a custom build profile.
>>
>> And how would you do this ?
>>
>> I don't want to complicate fpmake unnecessarily.
>
> Improve the command line paring algorithm. It should check if there is something behind the build command line option.
> If so then it is a named build profile. In fpmake you could check the TDefaults.Profile property to determine which options to add.

I would prefer a named option, i.e.

fpmake build --profile=debug

and I think TDefaults.Profile needs to be
a) A collection.
b) Loadable from some config file, I suppose ?
--profile then just selects one item in the collection.

Other than that, I think this is OK.

>>> To make fppkg work for my own project I need to add a fppkg.cfg to my project right?
>>
>> There is no such thing as 'fppkg for a project', so I'm not sure what you mean here.
> But I am talking about using fpmake for projects other than FPC.
> So the cdash (not cmake as I mistakenly wrote in the mail) idea should also work for standalone projects.

In that case, I don't understand what you mean.

fpmake's intended use is to compile your FPC code.
I can see the use of trying to run a testsuite, build docs and a binary zip for distribution:
they are all FPC related things.

But it is not intended as a general build system (i.e. replace make or ant or rpm or deb).

Michael.