[fpc-devel] Error compiling trunk on FreeBSD

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Mar 2 14:01:40 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Tomas Hajny said:
> > Ok. Then I don't know why they are stuck at 2.15, I got that answer then
> > (at
> > the Fosdem LLVM talk), but didn't check it further.  I'll ask around.
> >
> > But anyway, 8.2 is days old, so migrating to 2.17 is for now not an
> > option,
> > and the "db" solution will have to be implemented anyway.
>
> FWIW, I had to do something similar in i386/mmx.pp (femms instruction) in
> the past due to AS version available for OS/2 at that time.

Yes. But that is about way older binutils. OpenBSD had some too before 3.4
(when they were a.out)

I asked around, and FreeBSD 9 will migrate to 2.17.50 (+patches). But they
usually don't change toolchains much within stable versions, and FreeBSD7 is
supported till 2013, so FreeBSD8 even longer probably, so we will have to
live with it. Luckily it is a freakish instruction with only one
occurance. x86_64 is FreebSD8 plus (I have no idea how it fares on -7, it
might be that it just works and that the porter did it)