[fpc-devel] Re: fpc build problems on some debian armel buildds

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Thu Jun 30 19:01:59 CEST 2011

Riku Voipio wrote:

> Qemu allows unaligned memory accesses, which do not always work on real
> hardware, especially on armv5 and other older arms.

Do you know specifically how the debian buildds handle unaligned
accesses? do they fix them up? do they generate a bus error? do they let
them go silently wrong?

Regardless though I don't think that is the issue here as I've finally
seen the einouterror in qemu after trying building in the precise path
the buildd used (and I managed to reproduce it twice in a row under
those circumstances). Unfortunately re-running the failing command
manually succeeds so it seems like the long path alone is insufficiant
to trigger the bug and there must be something in the environment the
build system provides as well. I tried shoving a strace in there but
that also seemed to stop it failing so i've no idea how I can track this
down further.

Another complication is that this is happening as the first new compiler
is being built using the compiler installed on the build system, in
other words even if the issue is tracked down and fixed a new manual
upload is likely to be needed to fix it.