[fpc-devel] volatile variables

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:28:58 CEST 2011

> Jonas already pointed you to it:
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap04.html#tag_04_11
>
> "Applications shall ensure that access to any memory location by more than
> one thread of control (threads or processes) is restricted such that no
> thread of control can read or modify a memory location while another thread
> of control may be modifying it."
>
> Please note the "read or modify".  If you fail to understand this, you can
> read the source of a posix threads implementation, e.g. nptl (which is part
> of libc).

I honestly don't believe that by the above statement has anything to
do with what we're talking about here.  And I'm thinking it's because
of the two issues.

One is threads.  One is cores.  I think we need to focus to get to the
bottom of what we're all trying to say.

I have been following and it is completely agreed that thread locks
are NOT what we are trying to discuss.