[fpc-devel] fpVectorial PDF Writer

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 04:34:42 CEST 2011

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:

> If you are willing to work on it too, I can help you write a pdf exporter.
>
> It should be easy, you just have to take an example document plus the
> Adobe documentation. PDF is just text plus an eventual zip
> compression.

Be warned, the Adobe documentation is incomplete in some subtle details.

E.g. the Length of an Stream is specified so vaguely, that the stored
Length (observed) frequently is something between the number of data
bytes with or without embedded EOL markers. See the PDF spec, 7.3.8.2
Steam Extent.

Such flaws can prevent the decoding of a PDF document, because the exact
stream decoder is a secret of Adobe (like details of .NET are Microsoft
secrets).

Please let me know when somebody finds source code of an PDF parser,
that e.g. allows to extract the exact page count from any PDF document.

DoDi