[fpc-devel] New language idea: Unified types(assignmentsize-compatible types).

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Jun 26 13:55:59 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> > What FPC will do there is probably still undecided, since it will be a
> > dilemma between compatibility with the OS it is running on vs compatibility
> > with other FPC targets.
>
> I'm fairly sure we'd keep the definition the same as on other platforms.

As long as a majority platform doesn't change, probably indeed. (if only
that it would require a significant hardening of the RTL and core packages)

Anyway, for me it is hard to predict what will work and what will break. Do
we know how gcc deals with such targets?

> For OS interoperability we have the ctypes unit.

Hmm. I just looked around a bit, and noticed that the ctypes unit doesn't
alias the C types (unix/ctypes.inc) the *nix rtl exports. (via e.g. unixtype
and aliasctp.inc).

In such case where RTL and external interpretations vary this might have to
be fixed. (I'm wondering if it originally were aliases)