[fpc-devel] New language idea: Unified types(assignmentsize-compatible types).

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:30:20 CEST 2011

On 26 June 2011 14:03, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> Integer is *always* 32-bits on either
>> 32-bit or 64-bit target platforms.
>
> It *happens* to have 32 bit there. On 16 bit platforms (TP, Delphi 1) it was
> 16 bit. I'm not sure when Delphi changed that to 32 bit, perhaps not before
> D3.

The point I was trying to make is that it is NOT going to become a
64-bit type in Delphi 64-bit (one day when it actually arrives). And
neither is it a 64-bit type under current 64-bit FPC as far as I
remember.

It might have been a "generic" type in the 16/32 bit days, but it
isn't any more in the 32/64 bit FPC/Delphi compilers.

Anyway, this is what I remember from a discussion a few months back
with Michael van Canneyt. He even pointed me to the newly updated docs
for the FPC types mentioning the same thing - I still had older FPC
documentation printed out which was wrong at the time (hence my
confusion).

  - Graeme -