[fpc-devel] Const optimization is a serious bug

Wimpie Nortje wimpienortje at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 08:03:53 CEST 2011

> We also have to remember that *probably almost nobody* remembers
> fixing a bug related to this. That's because most people who come up
> against this bug probably have no clue what is happening and only by
> making some other changes do they coincidentally "fix" it. I propose
> that for a problem like this you cannot rely on reported incidents to
> determine how frequent it is.
If it helps, I can remember fixing this bug. It took two days because
due to past mistakes I find it very difficult to convince myself that
the bug is actually in the compiler and not in my code.

So yes, it is very scary to me and would like it to be fixed.

I did not submit a bug because I could not reproduce it without
submitting the whole application. The solution was to remove the const
from the parameter list.