[fpc-devel] Status report for "class helpers"

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Jan 30 13:29:36 CET 2011

On 30 Jan 2011, at 12:37, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> I cry if FPC doesn't compile at least ten percent *faster* than the previous
> release...

At least on Mac OS X/i386, we are pretty close to that currently as far as compiling the compiler with itself is concerned:

* Compiling it with 2.4.2:
user	0m7.663s
sys	0m0.545s

user	0m7.540s
sys	0m0.535s

user	0m7.527s
sys	0m0.532s

* Compiling it with 2.5.1:

user	0m6.972s
sys	0m0.451s

user	0m6.967s
sys	0m0.456s

user	0m6.966s
sys	0m0.456s

The reason I'm specifically mentioning the used platform is that there's one new Mac OS X/i386-specific optimization in 2.5.1 (more efficient PIC trampolines, and PIC is enabled by default on that platform), although I cannot imagine that it would be completely (or even largely) responsible for an 8% speedup.

Jonas