[fpc-devel] FPC for Linux-ARM

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jan 18 12:06:06 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho said:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> > Nowhere. It was made for a bounty. It was EABI4 btw (for sheeva). ?iirc I
> > commented on the main sheeva thread in the lazarus forum about it.
>
> I don't know what sheeva is (except for the mortal kombat character =D
> ), but to me it looks like as if this installer would work for Android
> too. Android expects eabi and soft-float.

Well, primarily it is a nonstandard transliteration of a major Hindu deity
Shiva I guess :-)

Seriously, Sheeva(plug) is development kit for the Kirkwood class of ARM
processors by Marvell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug

Lazarus threads (among others:)

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,8057.15.html
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,8084.0.html

> Is the installer to remain private according to your agreement or
> could it be made public?

There is no installer, it is just a 2.4.2 win32 install with the relevant
binutils and a snapshot installed over it, and then zipped.

But as said, it is EABI 4, and that is in every .o file. So if Android is
EABI 5, it is useless, since afaik they are linking incompatible.

And no, the results of the bounty were not private. It is simply crafted for
a specific device. Since it was all a bit messy, and I did all this on a
device that has already been experimented on a lot, I simply wanted to wait
till I have my new device, and redo everything for EABI 5 (since most newer
distros use that), and move on.

Devices
- the above Sheeva  512MB ram. Can bootstrap and run testsuite on USB2 HDD
   OS is on SD flash card
- the Seagate WD flex which is an "release" 128MB version of the sheeva.
  Currently bricked
- OpenRD Ultimate, which is a Kirkwood device with all I/O equiped
 (including ESATA and PCIex x1), currently in transit from US/China.

> >> Plus, I would like to mention again that it would be very good to
> >> convert the unofficial linux --> arm-linux cross-compiler into a
> >> release.
> >
> > >From which linux to what arm linux? eabi, arm arch, softfloat? There are too
> > many variables to support. ?A more logical solution would be to make an
> > installer for windows that allows to configure some variables and
> > generates an install.
>
> from x86-linux to arm-linux (eabi, softfloat). That should work for
> Android.

I use either FreeBSD or Windows, and only use linux x86 for bounty cases
(since it requires me to startup a different machine). I also have no
Android devices.

My interest (and the bounty providers) is lowpowered servers, not mobile.