[fpc-devel] FPC for Linux-ARM

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jan 18 11:40:53 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho said:
> Where have you hosted your cross-compiler windows --> arm-linux ?

Nowhere. It was made for a bounty. It was EABI4 btw (for sheeva).  iirc I
commented on the main sheeva thread in the lazarus forum about it.

The binutils are on FTP though, and the wrapper I used is in the fpcbuild
repository (it is a wrapper around AS.exe that sets eabi version, since the
binutils on FTP are eabi 0)

> Plus, I would like to mention again that it would be very good to
> convert the unofficial linux --> arm-linux cross-compiler into a
> release.

>From which linux to what arm linux? eabi, arm arch, softfloat? There are too
many variables to support.  A more logical solution would be to make an
installer for windows that allows to configure some variables and generates
an install.

Maybe something like that for linux too. (but distributing a binary
instlaler is harder on Linux)

> I am writing articles about Android programming and without suitable
> FPC releases targetting arm-linux things will get confuse for
> beginners.

I've ordered an OpenRD that hopefully arrives in the coming weeks, and then
I'll pick this up again. I hopefully also can unbrick the device that I'm
current targeting (Seagate GoFlex NET)

> My current B plan in case we really lack official cross-compilers
> targetting arm-linux is hosting myself these cross-compilers in one of
> my source forge projects and link these from my articles (in order to
> have a stable position from which new users can download them).

I don't mind having some installs for certain installs on FTP (and more
importantly I don't think Michael/Karoly won't mind either, since they are
the owners).

But that is something different from commiting to maintaining a *release*.