[fpc-devel] Dwar2 changed?

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Jan 13 08:45:54 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 23:52 +0000, Martin wrote:
> Has dwarf 2 changed ?

Yes

> with trunk ( I updated from a few month back, to today), I no longer get
> the classname of an exception (stabs is fine, but dwarf now fails)

Well, passing variables to procedures by reference has different
Dwarf-debug information now.
And there are some changes which in theory shoudn't change anything, but
maybe I made a mistake.

You could try to compile an example with an older version and a newer
version. And compare the output of 'objdump -W'

>  >> TCmdLineDebugger.SendCmdLn "-data-evaluate-expression
> ^^shortstring(^POINTER($eax)^+12)^^"
> << TCmdLineDebugger.ReadLn "^done,value="#0 <repeats 20 times>""
> << TCmdLineDebugger.ReadLn "(gdb) "

You do realize that this is an hack? (I partly wrote it)
It could also be that the location of the exception-name has been
changed by something. This hack doesn't use any debug-information. Only
the definitions of a shortstring  and pointer.

Joost.