[fpc-devel] String and UnicodeString and UTF8Stringt

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jan 11 10:47:20 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> I had hoped that using the dynamically encoded string type nearly
> everywhere would allow for a great lot of not OS-specific code in the
> VCL (and LCL) without the need for excessive conversions maintaining the
> systems' coding (UTF-16 or UTF-8) in and out with GUI-centric user code.

That was our original idea. But it also required the input granularity (1,2
maybe 4) to be a variable.

> I thought this would have been the main reason for introducing the
> additional complexity of the dynamically encoded string type.

Embacadero however decided otherwise and kept a wall between the 1 and 2
byte types. So at least 1 and 2 byte types as basetype are different
targets.

I still have to study Jonas last message. It seems to indicate that I
misunderstood what rawbytestring.  If that is true, Jonas is right,
separating the targets will result in two targets (rawbytestring and
unicodestring)