[fpc-devel] RFC: TParam.AsBCD vs. AsFMTBCD

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Feb 23 11:37:10 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, LacaK wrote:

> Hi,
> we have in fcl-db TField.AsBCD: TBCD; but we do not have TParam.AsBCD, nor
> TParam.AsFMTBCD
> Delphi defines:
> TParam.AsBCD: Currency ...
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/XE/en/DB.TParam.AsBCD
> TParam.AsFMTBCD: TBCD ...
> http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/XE/en/DB.TParam.AsFMTBCD
>
> But for me sounds more logical and consistent, that TParam.AsBCD will be like
> TField.AsBCD so result type will be TBCD
> (TParam.AsBCD: Currency is more like TParam.AsCurrency: Currency)
>
> So what way to go ?
> 1. TParam.AsBCD: TBCD
> 2. TParam.AsFMTBCD: TBCD

Well, the Delphi compatible way is usually preferred.

It makes no sense to have both .asBCD and asFMTBCD to have the same result type.

The same can of course be said about .asBCD and .AsCurrency; But since
Delphi compatibility is a goal, I think we should follow them.

Borland could perfectly have sufficed with 2 properties (.AsCurrency, AsBCD).
For some reason they introduced 3.

Michael.