[fpc-devel] fpc translations

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Dec 23 20:46:40 CET 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> Hi devels,
>
> How does the localization of fpc work?
> Is there only the -Fr parameter or is there more?
> Does the compiler convert the encoding?

No, the file must be in the encoding used on the platform.
The compiler does not look at the encoding.

> I guess the files in fpc/compiler/msg are used. For example for
> German it uses errord.msg.
> What encoding has the file errord.msg?

I would guess windows or DOS, since it's not readable on linux.
The file errordu.msg is readable, so most likely it is UTF-8.

These files were made long before the compiler had a notion of codepages.
These days one could perhaps look at recoding...

Michael.