[fpc-devel] Determin file size - how?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 00:44:41 CET 2011

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:

> I repeat: you didn't search very well.

Yes, I was not lucky enough :-(

>> IMO a separation into topics "File handling" (FILE based) and "File
>> management" (by filename) would be a good idea. Now I also found an
>> topic "General File handling routines", but it seems to list only
>> Posix functions, not avaialble on other platforms - should read "Posix
>> File ..." instead?
>
> Where did you find this topic ?

Hmm, you didn't search very well, too? ;-)

#rtl/oldlinux/filehandlingroutines.html

A search on "file handling" in rtl.chm returns a list of near 100 hits,
some of which are really procedures. RenameFile is missing from that
list, instead it contains many "Reference for unit ..." entries.

> I will investigate what can be done to make the topics more clear and
> helpful.

And make them more easy to find.

I understand that entries without tags are hard to find, but adding tags
only would open another can of worms <sigh>. So the only solution, that
I can see, is adding overview topics for categories of routines, with a
list of the overviews at least in every package. The lists of overviews
for a unit are of little use in a general search, when the units of
interest are not yet known.

>> As already mentioned, I still miss platform independent versions of
>> the file management routines. Lazarus implements some routines, but
>> IMO these should become part of the RTL, not of FCL or LCL.
>
> Which ones do you think are missing apart from FileSize ?

Give me a link to the directory handling topic, then I can tell you
more. Ah, found it: "FileName handling routines" (sysutils). At a first
glance there is nothing missing, except FileSize. Perhaps
ForceDirectories...

DoDi