[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:45:22 CET 2011

Am 09.12.2011 16:40, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> In our previous episode, Henry Vermaak said:
>>> them, instead of pulling this into the core. (iow, like the users package)
>>
>> I don't understand.  Why link to libc for these?  They are syscalls, if
>
> Are they? On any OS and arch that calls itself posix or unix?

With that argumentation you could question any usage of syscalls in FPC
as we're not using syscalls on Mac OS X...

> Or maybe, the question should be the opposite, why not? Why shouldn't such
> peripheral calls NOT be taken from libc?

If that function is indeed used to implement a fpGetTickCount which is
located in one of the core units (e.g. SysUtils) I wouldn't want to link
to a libc version (this is of course only if that hypothetic function
gets implemented in a core unit).

Also I personally(!) prefer direct "linkage" to the kernel.

Regards,
Sven