[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Dec 9 16:42:25 CET 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>>> Freebsd, Netbsd, Openbsd, and Linux  has it.
>>> For OSX there is a substitution:
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5167269/clock-gettime-alternative-in-mac-os-x
>>
>> Well, you'll have to convince Marco.
>> But I think it's that time of the month, when he's hard to convince, just for the fun of discussion :)
>
> Strange. I had the same feeling. Something random functionality HAD to be
> put in, damn the consequences or counter arguments.

Not quite.

If we're talking about clock_gettime, that was on my agenda since Zeljko pointed out
their existence, as I stated in my initial post: "it is on my todo list".

It is a linux kernel call, and therefor earns its place at least in the linux unit,
it is the purpose of that unit.

Concerning Felipe's functions NowUTC and gettickcount or whatever in sysutils:
I am generally neutral, slightly in favour, but mostly just participating
in the discussion;

Much like you, I suspect, with the possible difference that you are slightly (or much)
against :-)

Michael.