[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:23:00 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> But maybe IMHO this kind of stuff should remain out of sysutils, certainly now
> it is not entirely clear, and people are still searching for solutions.

NowUTC is not any less portable then Now in relevant platforms.

My question about clock_gettime was for FPGetTickCount, which indeed
is still far from having a proper implementation.

> So IMHO, stuff it in fcl-base as "timerutils" or so, let it link to libc,
> basta. I don't see the need for it in the core subset, and neither the need
> to do it all manually.

This would be useless, both NowUTC and GetTickCount64 are already in
lazutils, so I don't see any benefit in moving them to anything in the
FCL.

But I saw a benefit in moving NowUTC to the RTL because it shares a
lot of code with Now, they are nearly identical, so we could avoid
duplicated code and because it is a very basic routine.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho