[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Dec 9 15:16:20 CET 2011

On 09 Dec 2011, at 14:14, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Jonas Maebe
> <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>> Afaik the original point was that some people were interested in
>> some kind
>> of timestamp that does not jump around (except possibly when
>> overflowing). I
>> don't think anyone particularly needed "the time in UTC".
>
> I disagree. I think that getting the current time in UTC is basic
> enough to be awarded a routine and has merit on its own, even
> disregarding it's usage in profilers.

Possibly, but that's a different discussion than the one you referred
to in your original mail.

>> it also solves the problem that some targets may not support
>> returning the
>> time in UTC.
>
> I think that Michael already exposed more then enough the holes in
> this argument.

He did not expose any holes in any argument. He simply said that
Go32v2 and OS/2 can be ignored as far as any potential implementation
problems are concerned because Go32v2 and to a (much) lesser extent OS/
2 do not support various features. I strongly disagree about the OS/2
part because its target support is still actively maintained, so the
least courtesy we can do is to try to accomodate it rather than simply
upfront state "if it doesn't work for your target, tough luck".

Jonas