[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 09:23:25 CET 2011

Hello,

I would like to add NowUTC to SysUtils as we have already discussed
previously. I think that the need for adding this should be of common
knowledge for all after the long discussions about Now, and I
understand that this was agreed upon, although surely we can discuss
again.

So ok, now the problem starts. I have never added a new routine to the
RTL before, so I am totally lost at what exactly to do, because there
is a pletora of platforms there and I have implementations only for
the platforms which I use, which are Windows and UNIX (I think it
should work in all of them)

So what is done in these cases? Should I give some time for
maintainers of those platforms to come up with implementations?

And if they don't? Just add a stub returning Now or something like that?

Adding a GetTickCount routine would also be good. Lazarus has this:

function GetTickCount64: QWord;

But maybe in the RTL it should have a different name to avoid
conflicts with the Windows unit... but which name?

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho