[fpc-devel] RTL docs missing links

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Dec 2 11:41:18 CET 2011

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> FPDoc issues many warnings about unknown link targets. Some of these seem to
> result from intrinsic types, e.g. for PSmallInt the target SmallInt does not
> exist. It doesn't look good when the docs do not include the most basic
> types, like Boolean, Byte, Char, Pointer etc. :-(

They are language (and thus compiler) built-ins and are therefor documented
in the language reference.

That said, I'm willing to include a small topic in the system unit which
explains this, and lists the types involved.

> The same problem with Integer referring to SmallInt (missing, of course),
> what looks quite inappropriate nowadays. IMO a 16 bit Integer doesn't make
> sense in win32(!)\system.pp (including systemh.inc, see line 92), and on
> other platforms as well.

In FPC mode (the default mode), Integer = Smallint. This is therefor correct.

The objpas unit (included implicitly when you use mode delphi or objfpc)
contains the Integer = Longint definition.

> When the basic types cannot be documented due to missing explicit
> declarations, at least a topic covering all basic types should be added, with
> all references to these types (e.g. from Integer) redirected to that topic.

The reference is not possible, since they are in the languague guide and references
to that are impossible.
(I also happen to think that these references are totally superfluous, but that's more
a matter of opinion)

Michael.