[fpc-devel] FPDoc sources

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Aug 31 11:17:05 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
> > In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
> >> This would be a very useful extension, indeed. Unfortunately the RTL and
> >> FCL have such irregular requirements, that much work is required to
> >> provide a usable command line for the compilation of the according
> >> documentation.
> >
> > Like "./fixdocs.sh" ?
>
> That's why I mentioned Windows - can you provide equivalent means for
> Windows, too?

Maybe I could yes, with sufficient motivation. IIRC I build the docs just
fine with texlive about an year ago.  Probably you can follow the above as a
general recipe, and build your windows version.

> On Windows even the makefile doesn't work,

"doesn't work" is not terribly informative. Maybe you simply don't know
windows build systems very well.

> and that certainly stands in
> contrast to the claim "write once, run everywhere".

Please. At least try to come up with believable arguments :-)

That tagline is about what project generates, not whatever theoretical tool
that could be used in the project generation.

Moreover you step over the fact very easily that if it doesn't work on Windows, it
doesn't necessarily means it is _designed_ not to work on windows.

Third, as said I've played a bit with it an year ago, and I was able to make
chm's and html with a bit of testing.  So even practically, it is not THAT far
from working on windows.

Sure, some parts of the project have a windows maintenance backlog, but I've
never seen a sane patch improving the state on windows being rejected. I'm
also not aware of any bugreports on this.