[fpc-devel] FPDoc sources

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 21:14:21 CEST 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>> The requirement for perfectly compilable source files, with all options
>> and include files, stands in contrast to building mere documentation.
>> Since fpdoc offers no means to add target specific documentation in the
>> xml files, it should be able to build target-insensitive documentation.
>
> That falls outside the scope of the fpdoc project. It simply generates
> documentation based on what information you give it.

No need to complain, *if* it were so :-(

Unfortunately fpdoc ignores all given xml files, when no corresponding
source file is given at the same time. Does a documentation tool serve
the user, or has the user to serve the tool???

> Of course this process could greatly be enhanced by the help of any
> IDE that knows about fpdoc. Simply ask the IDE (which already knows
> the source code files it manages, paths and include paths) to generate
> a fpdoc build script for your current project or package or library,
> or it could execute the fpdoc application directly. The IDE can
> extract from its project settings all the required information to pass
> to fpdoc.

This would be a very useful extension, indeed. Unfortunately the RTL and
FCL have such irregular requirements, that much work is required to
provide a usable command line for the compilation of the according
documentation.

> I would suggest you implement such a feature for Lazarus IDE as I
> described above, or file a feature required for the Lazarus project.

The Lazarus IDE already includes the FPDoc Editor, which allows to
document every identifier in the sources :-)

DoDi