[fpc-devel] FPC-JVM: Status report on Android

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Aug 30 10:25:28 CEST 2011

On 30 Aug 2011, at 09:59, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 08/29/2011 05:58 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>
>> Michael Schnell schrieb:
>>
>>> That is why I am astonished that converting Java-Bytecode to
>>> Dalvik code should be an easy task.
>>
>> A stackbased internal or intermediate representation is the most
>> general one, from which a compiler can decide which registers to
>> use for expression evaluation etc.  FPC itself uses registers only
>> for the actual code generation, depending on how many registers are
>> available on the target machine.
> I don't see what you mean here.

He means that converting a stack based program representation (whether
it's compiler-internal or Java byte code is irrelevant) of a program
to a flat register file based program representation has been a solved
problem since a long time ago. I tried to explain the same thing with
my example of JIT compilers, which perform exactly the same task
starting from exactly the same Java byte code.

Jonas