[fpc-devel] DIFF patch for changing to table driven processor definitions for ARM

John Clymer john at johnclymer.net
Sat Aug 27 20:33:34 CEST 2011

I assume I speak for others, but for those of us that have been working in the
embedded field for a while, some of us prefer to roll our own support code,
rather than rely on compiler supplied implementations.  Personnally, I've used 6
different ARM/Thumb2 cored processors in various projects.  I have NEVER used
compiler or vendor provided library.

I prefer NOT to use them because they add overhead, complexity, and are often
times innefficient.

I thought OSS was about freedom of choice.  Mandating that end users follow a
certain path removes their available choices.

As far as custom linker maps - if one uses the Generic "controller" and tells
the compiler to compile to object code, but NOT link.  Then one can provide
their own linker script - with whatever crazy controller layout they desire.