[fpc-devel] DIFF patch for changing to table driven processor definitions for ARM

David Welch dwelch at dwelch.com
Sat Aug 27 17:01:25 CEST 2011

One case would be as a framework to build other targets instead of
having to delete a bunch of stuff then add a bunch of stuff you just add
stuff.

I have an interest in a generic target where the target specific stuff
is not embedded in the compiler but is in the code.  At the moment the
memory address is still hardcoded but that is it it can easily be
re-used countless times.  More so if there were run time programmable
addresses for the linker.  It is not too hard to add a target every time
I want to use fpc for something, it would be far easier if there were a
set of generic targets so that at worst all I had to do was modify the
memory addresses and not have to add a whole target.  A memory only arm,
a flash+memory arm, a memory only cortex-m3 and a flash+memory cortexm3.
  (yes can and have done a bootloader for a cortex-m3 loading programs
into ram and running them needing a ram only link).  I would recommend
folks use the generic target and develop the target specific library
code outside the compiler first avoiding having to rebuild the compiler
and application during the development process, not that the compiler is
a slow build, it is fast, but saving that complication

I assume this will settle down but if  you look at just the last week,
if you were trying to add an embedded target the framework keeps
changing and you would have to keep starting over and over again if you
were not ready to pull the trigger.  with a generic target you could
take your time developing your libraries, etc.

In short I am saying it saves time for the individuals trying to add
targets.

David