[fpc-devel] Stackframes

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sat Aug 27 14:53:15 CEST 2011

> > Find some generic text aiming on complexity or whatever :)
> The rules
> > when it happens or not are pretty complex, they also depend on the
> > target architecture. See e.g. psub.pas:953+ and all occurences of
> > pi_needs_stackframe in the compiler
>
> I knew I should ask confirmation, I will adapt the docs to be
> more careful ;-)

The list of conditions listed now is so restrictive that one would expect
very few procedures without a stackframe. When you start unwinding the
stack, reality is quite different (on i386 at least). Hence my suggestion to
change the  docs. Hint (from D6 help): stack frames are only generated when
they're required, as determined by the routine's use of local variables. If
that isn't generic...

Ludo