[fpc-devel] New FPC target: JVM

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:45:51 CEST 2011

On Sunday, 21 August 2011, Jonas Maebe <jonas. wrote:

> Google is doing several things:
> * they kept the Java programming language
> * they replaced the JVM with Dalvik, to make it faster/more power
efficient (by doing a bunch of analyses and transformations that are
normally done at run time at compile time). This by itself does not
introduce incompatibilities, since Java class files can be translated into
Dalvik class files
> * they replaced the JDK with their own class library, the Android SDK

Ok, thanks for explaining (without the hostile tone like Mattias). From the
Dalvik Wikipedia page, converting Sun Java class files to Google Java is not
always possible. It seems to be a hit and miss case. But I guess recompiling
the source code might have better sucsess.

> Do you think it would have been better if they had said "you program in
the Android language, which is identical to the Java language"?

Yes, not identical though, just similar syntax.

Graeme.

  - Graeme -