[fpc-devel] Arm Thumb2 - Stellaris status

Geoffrey Barton mrb at periphon.net
Sat Aug 20 10:39:36 CEST 2011

On 20 Aug 2011, at 09:01, David Welch wrote:

> Just jumping in here and maybe it was discussed but the cortex-m3 appears to have been designed so that if you match the arm abi you can put the address of handlers directly in the vector table and not have to trampoline off of a wrapper function.  basically 8 well chosen register are put on the stack so you dont have to preserve them, so that the handler has the look and feel of a standard function and not the look and feel of an interrupt handler.
>
> I would not mix all cortex-m3 based devices into one definition.
>
> Perhaps lumping all the stellaris parts into one but that would still get huge.  Maybe all the 800 series in one, all the 1000 series in another, and so on.  That is the way the vendors tend to manage information for their parts, and it makes sense as a sub-set of a larger family is very closely related and easier to manage the subtle differences.
>
> Is it your intention to get all of the stellaris parts into this project all at once?  Or build some framework, add one or a few parts from each family and then over the course of time add a part or two here and there?
>
> I would start with one family 800 series or 1000 series, one of the more simpler ones, and try to capture that series. If one series of parts is too bulky or complicated that is your answer, you may need to isolate each part by itself.
>
> I would not try to cross vendors to the stm or lpc/nxp cortex-m3 or cortex-m0 parts etc.  the memory maps and peripherals across vendors are too different.  boot strategies, flash programming, etc.

The great strength of ARM is that the peripherals, even if in different locations in different manufacturers parts, are identical in hardware terms if they are all cortex m3; that is the IP which they license from ARM.com. So maybe that is another reason for keeping the peripheral offset definitions and peripheral drivers separate and out of the compiler.

Geoffrey