[fpc-devel] C++ gets language-internal concurrency support

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Aug 19 14:48:23 CEST 2011

On 08/19/2011 02:15 PM, David W Noon wrote:
> That is not my experience.  While CIL byte code interprets much faster
> than Java byte code, it is still discernibly slower than native object
> code.
Hmm. I don't have any personal experience with this, but from what I
read, this idea with CIL is to split the normal compile procedure that does
(1) code analysis, high level optimizing and creating an intermediate
code that is independent of the original language and the target CPU
and
(2) low level optimization and target code generation

and perform the second step on the target system when loading.

So it does not _need_ do run slower (it _needs_ to load slower, though).
But of course a really good "full" compiler might do a better optimizing
job.

Regarding code snippets that are worth to be done in parallel (e.g.
calculating a cell in a Matrix Multiplication) should not be highly
prone to speed degradation by CIL.

> [Or perhaps my C# is not that good.]
I doubt that this is the case :) .

-Michael