[fpc-devel] Arm Thumb2 - Stellaris status

Geoffrey Barton mrb at periphon.net
Fri Aug 19 11:07:39 CEST 2011

On 19 Aug 2011, at 09:55, Florian Klämpfl wrote:

> Am 19.08.2011 10:33, schrieb Geoffrey Barton:
>>
>> because one is forever re-compiling the compiler when one switches to
>> a device with a new peripheral, and if your main activity is not
>> compiler development but product development one has to go back and
>> find out how to do it each time. Better that the core stays the
>> same.
>
> This is true, it makes things maybe easier for the first implementor, he
> hacks together some units and directives but it is harder for any latter
> user. He basically needs to do the same amount of work as the initial
> implementator: find out that he needs some directive, find the correct
> units etc.

exactly so, IMHO! (and in my own experience).

If all he needs to add are a few peripheral definitions and drivers and there have been provided some examples of structures which work well in practice for these, a new user can be doing useful work very quickly and contributing to the collective knowledge from day one.