[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Aug 15 04:06:50 CEST 2011

On 8/14/2011 14:09, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 12 August 2011 14:12, Michael Schnell  wrote:
>>
>> But you can't use the Lazarus GUI designer. I feel that without same the
>> development is far more stressful.
>
> GUI designers are not always needed. Take MiGLayout manager for Java.
> It is extremely easy to create a GUI without the need for a GUI
> Designer. And yes, even complex UI's are a breeze to code up with
> MiGLayout.

i can't help but to look back to my dBaseIII/IV days and note that i never had a
GUI designer for graphical or textual modes yet i churned out several hundred
apps that were then manually massaged for numerous similar tasks... one of the
most popular was a shipping management app which competed directly with one of
the major shipping apps... i can't recall the name of the company but it started
with a 'B' IIRC... anyway, the app started off as strictly shipping... then a
warehouse management module was added... then a production module and finally
there were billing and order entry modules... all of these were meshed into one
of the premier dBase/Foxbase accounting apps available at that time... graphical
stuffs were just barely starting to take hold at that time...

if i had had to do the dBase style forms stuff, it would have been a total
nightmare... instead, we opted to go for "standard" drawn interface screens that
had no clue what a "form" was... this was also back in the day when a database
was what is now called a table and joining several databases into a relational
setup was all the rage... tables and forms were totally alien concepts back then ;)