[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 14:54:24 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 01:56 PM, Thaddy wrote:
>>
>> It is not slow at all, it is lightning fast.
>
> So it obviously does use rendering hardware.
>>
>> As far as I suspect the framebuffer manipulation is indeed through the
>> kernel.
>
> I did not take a look into the framebuffer driver API, but it's quite
> obvious that it does provide support for hardware rendering.
>>
>> If you use openGL v2 there's of course just one abstraction layer extra.
>
> Yep. I did understand wrong that not using GL would imply not using the
> rendering hardware and directly writing to  the pixel array instead.
>
> -Michael

I remember people complaining that Android didn't do (IIRC) screen
composition on the GPU, and this was even officially disclaimed.
Unfortunately all I could find right now is this:
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/29584-why-doesnt-androids-gui-use-gpu-acceleration.html
Hmm, and this: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/03/android-30-hardware-acceleration.html

-Flávio