[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:01:59 CEST 2011

Am 11.08.2011 16:33, schrieb Thaddy:
> On 11-8-2011 13:56, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> Even if KSD or now FireMonkey supports ARM Linux this does not mean
>> anything for Android. While Android does support native Linux
>> applications it does not have a X server. Currently the only
>> possibility for this is to run a X server through a VNC viewer and
>> thus you can not reproduce the usual feel of an Android application.
>> For that you'd need to write a Java bridge.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sven
> Bovine excrement, but I admit only partially, depending on version:
> There are X servers running on Android and there is qt running on Android.
> Except you need at least 2.3 or maybe a high 2.2.x, never had those.

I know about X servers running there (I have looked that up today
morning, because I liked to know whether I somehow could run Wine on
Android), but all I've found yet was the restriction to access the X
screen through a VNC viewer. If you know more, I'd be glad to hear that. :)

And yes, I wasn't aware of QT.

> I have qt code running myself on an very cheap Android 2.3 tab from a
> toyshop and it works a charm.

Does the QT app look and act like a "native" Android app? Did you (or
someone else) test whether the LCL would work there using QT?

> I also have Mono/.net code running on it.
> Currently both under C and C#. The Freepascal examples run a bit strange
> (maybe ARM EABIv7 for Cortex 8, still palyimng with it)

Doesn't .NET use a bridge to Dalvik? At least that's the last I know.

> You definitely only need JNI before Android 2.3. So that part is correct.

Things definitely got better with 2.3. That far I'm aware of it ^^

Regards,
Sven

PS: Nice workaround with your "bovine excrement" :P