[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Aug 8 18:52:43 CEST 2011

On 8/7/2011 12:50, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 07 Aug 2011, at 17:57, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Makes you wonder, will they start submitting patches for FPC too?
>
> I hope so. The main problem I see with that is that they would become somewhat "tainted" by the FPC source code if they do so, which may make it harder to work on their own compiler later on. As long as they don't start blatantly copying code from FPC into their own compiler (like some people did in the past with Delphi RTL code into the FPC RTL) I don't think anyone who has contributed to the compiler would really care if they learned a bunch of stuff from our code base, but of course they have lawyers who almost certainly will care a lot.
>
> This can of course be solved in various ways (have someone who normally does not work on their compiler work on ours, hire a someone temporarily to do that work, external contractor, ...).

[joke] they could also shoot the lawyers and remove that particular problem...
the world would be better for it, too ;) [/joke]

personally, i think it is a GoodThing<tm> that they are using FPC in some way
and it would be nice if they would/could contribute code back to FPC... all in
all, at this point in time, it appears to be +1's ;)