[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Aug 7 20:53:00 CEST 2011

On 07 Aug 2011, at 20:42, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Good news is that any modifications or bug fixes they make, they will
> have to share.

They only have to share them with their customers who get the binary (and even then only for nominal shipping and handling fees). Of course, those customers are then free to pass them along further, if they want to. And in practice, I can't imagine what advantage Embarcadero would have by not immediately publicly sharing any such changes rather than by going through such hoops.

> But then comes the second question, how do you monitor
> something like that?

In general, you don't and just rely on the honour system. If you really suspect someone from copying code, you have to rely on reverse-engineering to figure things like that out. It would surprise me a lot if copy/pasting our compiler source code into their compiler and then adapting/debugging it would be much less work than immediately rewriting it though.

Jonas