[fpc-devel] Extended type

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 19 12:27:33 CEST 2011

Op Tue, 19 Apr 2011, schreef Florian Klämpfl:

>> It's just that the documentation tells you not to use the x87.
>
> Yes, because it's strange programming model should be really dropped.

Agree, but the 80 bit support makes some people want to use it. And that
will stay this way until CPU manufacturers invent an alternative.

By the way, recent GCC versions calculate the goniometric functions in
software using SSE3, and I checked that this is indeed slightly faster
than the x87. So we can get rid to the x87 stuff, should we want.

Daniël