[fpc-devel] Announcement: Free Pascal Compiler Delphi XEPortProject

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 16:12:31 CEST 2011

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Skybuck Flying schrieb:
>
>> Anyway if somebody could take a look at all of this and make some
>> sense of it that would be great/nice, saves me some time and could
>> clear some confusion (?) ;)
>
> Before looking at your code, I'd know the role that your project plays
> at all. Is it only about making the FPC code compilable by Delphi, as
> the first stage in the FPC bootstrap?
>
> In this case it would be easier to use an older Delphi commandline
> compiler, from the time before the Ansi-To-Unicode move, or simply an
> legacy FPC. You also could try to make the FPC sources compile by gcc -
> but I'd delay any such attempts to the time, when there doesn't exist
> any immediately applicable compiler any more.

I think that's very wise advice. I'd also throw in that there's a few
things in the compiler etc. that I'm interested in looking at, but that
I'm trying to build up a sound base of experience actually /using/ it
first. The community has put up with me for six years or so, I still
consider myself an inexperienced beginner, and I'd be very reluctant to
make any suggestion that the developers had overlooked something
significant.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk