[fpc-devel] OpenCL/Cuda/PTX Support ?!?

Skybuck Flying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 01:48:44 CEST 2011

Hello,

I tried searching the archives manually but this is a bit time consuming, I
also tried the search function on the website but it seems broken.

Anyway my question is the following:

Are there any plans to add OpenCL/CUDA/PTX support for the future ?

With this question I do not mean DLL api/loading support... but pascal
language/compiler to ptx assembler support.

PTX is the instruction set for OpenCL/CUDA, especially CUDA (for nvidia
cards and perhaps other manufacturers in future).

PTX seems to have become mature enough with the basic functionalities such
as integer and floating support and branching/looping support.

So I envision a free pascal compiler which can be simply used to compile
pascal code to PTX code (assembler/intermediate code).

This PTX code (kernels?) can then be used by pascal applications to feed it
to the CUDA/OpenCL dll's/api's for execution.

So in short this would make pascal an alternative language for writing
OpenCL/CUDA kernels.

Bye,
  Skybuck.