[fpc-devel] proposal for palette-related graph unit interface changes

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 15 17:05:57 CEST 2010

  On 09/15/2010 05:48 PM, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Am 15.09.2010 16:39, schrieb Nikolay Nikolov:
>> and then introduce TP7-compatible MaxColors, PaletteType and
>> procedures/functions. They'll be made optionally hookable (so the go32v2
>> implementation will be able to implement them with the real EGA palette
>> registers for maximum compatibility), with a default implementation that
>> works on top of SetRGBPalette (similar to the way SetPalette is
>> implemented now)
>>
>> What do you think?
> But this will break existing FPC code, right? I'am also not sure if the
> palettes as they are done were invented for other OSes e.g. Amiga or Atari
Yes, it'll break existing FPC code (but will also improve TP7
compatibility), that's why I want to discuss it with you, before making
these changes. Regarding Amiga and Atari - I already checked: Atari
doesn't seem to have a graph unit implementation; Amiga defines it's own
PaletteType and does not include graphh.inc at all, so it should not be
affected by the changes at all. All the other platforms use the palettes
in graphh.inc and will be affected. Yes, existing fpc code will have to
be fixed, but I suspect in most cases it would be doable with a simple
find/replace, because we'll keep all the current VGA palette
functionality, it'll only have different names.