[fpc-devel] Packages, Generics

Willibald Krenn Willibald.Krenn at gmx.at
Tue Sep 14 01:26:50 CEST 2010

[lots of useful information snipped]
> - The ability to import/export functions, procedures AND variables from
> binaries (although export from shared library only should be
> sufficient). This works on Windows, but on Linux I had problems.

Packages also export/import RTTI, ClassVars, types, all the
initialization/finalization code for each unit
(@Packageunit1 at initialization$qqrv ..), compiler magic functions, and
some other stuff like
@Package1 at initialization$qqrv
@Package1@@PackageUnload$qqrv
@Package1@@PackageLoad$qqrv
@Package1@@GetPackageInfoTable$qqrv
Finalize
Initialize
@GetPackageInfoTable

[...]
> What would you do different/better then the Delphi developers when
> implementing such a package system in a crossplatform way?

Packages worked quite well under Delphi and Kylix. :)

Willi