[fpc-devel] Problems with makefiles, fpcmake, Package.fpc and fppkg

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Sep 13 09:03:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Seems like that after all these years there are still bugs in fpc's
> makefiles...
>
> When you install a package, not the Package.fpc which is generated for
> the whole package, but the Package.fpc generated for the last
> sub-package is installed into
> xxx/<version>/units/<target>/<packagename>.
>
> Normally not really a problem, but fppkg uses these files to resolve
> dependencies. But the dependencies of the sub-package could be different
> from the dependencies of the main package.
>
> Example: when you do 'make install' in fcl-web, a Package.fpc will be
> installed without the dependency on fcl-db. (In fact a Package.fpc made
> for jsonrpc is installed, which doesn't depend on fcl-db)
>
> The result is that if you have fcl-web installed using fpcmake, and you
> want to install some other package using fpmake that depends on fcl-web,
> that will fail.
>
> Shall I submit a bug-report for fpcmake with a request to use the proper
> Package.fpc file?

No, in no case.

The whole idea of fppkg & fpmake is to get totally rid of fpcmake.
Your proposal implies its continued use.

I think that fpmake should output the proper dependencies based on the
dependencies specified in it. This output can be written to Package.fpc.
(although I don't understand why it is in a Package.fpc, dependencies
should be in the central package repository)

Michael.