[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 12 13:21:43 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
> > > Seeing that dcc is only 800K:
> > > maybe it fits into the cpu cache.
> >
> > I assume dcc.exe uses more data than code :-)
>
> CPU caches do not work FIFO.

I assume not, since the administration overhead would be too large.

> If FPC does not fit into the CPU cache, then the CPU has to constantly
> load code mem additionally to the data.

- only the hot track has to fit. It makes no sense to cache processing
  parameter options.
- all caches are afaik unified nowadays, so both
  code and data dynamically share the cache

It could be that the working set is larger for FPC, but I doubt you can see
this from the .exe size.