[fpc-devel] Status of Delphi-like packages (Class+RTTI aware DLL/SO)?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 16:05:24 CEST 2010

Marco van de Voort schrieb:

> Note that I have never heard anybody complain about the quick lazarus
> startup time relative to Delphi.  That is the flip side of dynamic packages
> !!!

Right, but that's no reason for not using packages somewhere else.

Delphi packages have been invented as an improvement of DLLs, to make
them type safe etc., and this idea can be used with shared libraries on
any platform.

IMO the implementation of Delphi packages in FPC depends on two things:
the resources required for such an implementation, and the chance for
closed-source libraries. When we want to disallow or even discourage
closed-source FPC projects, I see no urgent need for implementing Delphi
packages.

DoDi