[fpc-devel] Free Pascal Extender

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 07:53:14 CEST 2010

The SourceForge fpcext project <http://sourceforge.net/p/fpcext/home/>
shall allow to customize and extend the FPC compiler, with e.g.
alternative components and languages.

After some tries I got at least the git repository work, but I'm not
sure whether I did it the right way. The repository shall track the SVN
trunk, so that no bugfixes or other improvements get lost.

Currently branches exist for the preprocessor and alternative parsers,
where the parser branch will include some FPDoc documentation of the
compiler (to come). Alternative parsers shall include an alternative OPL
parser, using separated semantic objects and procedures, a modula-style
variation of the OPL syntax, with statement-sequences, and an
Oberon-style parser.

The scanner has been made virtual, so that parsers and scanners for
alternative languages can be implemented at all. Further possible
modifications are fully memory based source files, which may speed up
parsing and compilation.

Contributions, suggestions and discussions are welcome, the technical
details have to be worked out. Possible topics are the use of
AnsiStrings, alternative hashtables and file/directory caches, and of
course the still missing refactoring of the ppu file loader/management
and register allocator. These are only suggestions, not a closed
on-topic list.

DoDi